Part of the former L.W. Packard Mill that includes the Dye House, general operations area and storage, and the boiler house.
Former Use: The Site is composed of a 1.2-acre parcel of land situated on the Squam River. The Site is a portion of the larger L.W. Packard Mill complex. The mill complex was initially constructed in 1840 and has been periodically expanded and renovated in subsequent years. The Site is developed with the following two main buildings: Main Mill Building The 47,000-square foot main mill building consists of open former mill warehouse space, the dye house and wastewater treatment room, and a connecting corridor building. The dye house and wastewater treatment portion of the Site building date to at least 1892; however, the open storage portion of the main mill building was constructed in 1941. The connecting corridor building was constructed in 1979. Boiler House The 4,800-square foot boiler house is located across Hill Avenue from the main mill building. The boiler house was reportedly constructed in approximately 1936; however, historical sources indicate the structure likely dates earlier to at least 1892. Based on historical sources, it can be inferred the 1936 construction date likely corresponds to transition of the Site heating systems from coal to No. 6 fuel oil. In addition, a small water treatment area associated with the process water for the boilers is located at the north end of the boiler house.