Profile Information

241132
30 Commercial St - 34 Commercial St CONCORD, NH 03303
.48
Map 183D Lot 149
43.2172259 / -71.538445
Paar, Dorothy
Paar.Dorrie@epa.gov
617-918-1432


Top of Page


Property Progress


Top of Page


CAs Associated with this Property

CA NameCA #StateTypeAnnouncement Year
Central New Hampshire Regional Planning CommissionBF00A00034NHAssessment2017


Top of Page


Assessment Activities at this Property

ActivityEPA FundingStart DateCompletion DateCAAccomplishment Counted?Counted When?
Phase I Environmental Assessment$5,000.0008/08/201901/27/2020Central New Hampshire Regional Planning CommissionYFY20


Is Cleanup Necessary? Yes
EPA Assessment Funding: $5,000.00
Leveraged Funding:
Total Funding: $5,000.00


Top of Page


Contaminants and Media



Cleanup Activities

There are no current cleanup activities.


Cleanup/Treatment Implemented:
Cleanup/Treatement Categories:
Addl Cleanup/Treatment info:
Address of Data Source:
Total ACRES Cleaned Up: .48
Number of Cleanup Jobs Leveraged:
EPA Cleanup Funding:
Leveraged Funding:
Cost Share Funding:
Total Funding:


Top of Page


Institutional and Engineering Controls



Top of Page


Redevelopment and Other Leveraged Accomplishments

There are no current redevelopment activities.


Number of Redevelopment Jobs Leveraged:
Actual Acreage of Greenspace Created:
Leveraged Funding:


Top of Page


Additional Property Attributes

Former Use: The 0.48-acre Site is improved with one approximately 10,500 square foot single-story building identified as the former Allied Leather boiler building. The boiler building is composed of concrete floors with concrete masonry units block and brick walls and was constructed with a ground floor and basement. The roof is in the process of being replaced because it has not been maintained since operations ceased in the 1980s. Evidence of water damage and mold are present along the exterior walls and in the former office area. A former gravel parking area located on the eastern side of the Site building is accessed from Commercial Street. The Site and the northeast adjoining property were developed as a sawmill and lumber yard in the 1820s when Commercial Street was formerly known as Eel Street. Additional mill buildings were constructed in the 1830s. The current Site building, which was extended to inhabit the southwest adjoining property, was constructed by 1887 and was used for use as a granite and sawmill, which was part of the Stratton & Merrill Company by 1892. A 1928 Sanborn Map depicts the Site building as utilized as a repair shop and for general storage. By 1942, the Site was operating under Harris Emery Company mills for woolen manufacturing. By 1953, the Site operated under Brezner Tanning Corporation (aka Allied Leather) and continued until 1987 when the company went bankrupt. The Site building was reportedly used only for warehouse storage, a repair shop, and the boiler operations; it is unclear if any tannery operations historically took place onsite. The Site building has remained vacant since closure of Allied Leather in the late 1980s until present day. Renovations by the current Site owner began in 2019.
Industry (.48)
Hazardous


Top of Page