The Harriet Tubman Homes facility consists of 74 residential buildings and a community building and service garage. The site is not occupied.
Former Use: Based on a review of historical information, the site was undeveloped land in 1893. In the 1930�s and 1940�s, a single family dwelling was located on the northwestern portion of the site. According to Mr. Doug Wrinn, of the Chattanooga Housing Authority, a concrete lined ditch that transverses the site was constructed in the 1930�s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Mr. Wrinn stated that the site was developed in 1950 and the last resident vacated the site in 2012. Mr. Wrinn stated that it has been rumored that the site was a former dump site for City of Chattanooga that was later graded and capped. Mr. Wrinn stated that several buildings on site have settled causing major cracks in the foundations, which may support the idea of a historical dump onsite. According to Mr. Wrinn, several buildings with cracking foundations have been demolished. The historical dump that may have been located onsite has been identified as a REC. The site is owned by the Chattanooga Housing Authority