Standard and other historical resources were able to document that the property was mostly vacant land with a small portion of an adjoining church extending onto the eastern-most portion in 1887. The church was demolished between 1891 and 1895 and was vacant land until between 1899 and 1905 when the property was redeveloped with a store and connected dwelling. The structures were demolished between 1905 and 1909 and the property redeveloped with a livery in the western and northern portions and an undertaker in the southeastern portion. The livery portion was then used as an automotive parking garage and the southeastern portion continued to be used as a funeral home until approximately 1990. The property has been unoccupied since that time.
This assessment has revealed the following recognized environmental conditions in connection with the subject property:
* The subject property was occupied by a funeral home beginning between 1905 and 1909 until approximately 1990 when the business ceased operations. According to review of historical photos and interviews with a local historian, embalming operations were likely conducted at the property from construction of the funeral home until approximately 1973 (more than 60 years). Historical interior waste streams associated with the embalming operations would have consisted of general hazardous substances. This time period preceded major environmental regulations and current waste management and disposal procedures. The historical waste management practices associated with the former embalming operations are unknown and may be a source of subsurface contamination.
The following adjoining and/or nearby REC has been identified:
* The north adjoining property, identified as 810 Woodland Street, was occupied by automotive service operations beginning between 1927 and 1947 when a farm machine sales and service operation was constructed in the eastern portion and an automotive repair shop was constructed in the western portion. The property has been occupied by the current pulley manufacturing company since 1979. Current and historical interior waste streams associated with the former service operations and current manufacturing operations consist of general hazardous substances and/or petroleum products. A portion of this time period preceded major environmental regulations and current waste management and disposal procedures. The historical waste management practices associated with the service operations are unknown and may be a source of subsurface contamination. Based on the close proximity of the western building to the subject property (10 feet) and the length of time operations have been present (at least 76 years), the potential exists that a release has occurred on this property and migrated onto the subject property.
Business Environmental Risks (BERS)
The following BERs were identified during completion of this Phase I ESA:
* Based on PM's limited visual observations during the site reconnaissance, suspect asbestos containing materials (ACMs) were identified. It is understood that demolition is planned.
* Based on the construction of the building pre-1978 when Federal regulations banned the use of lead based paint (LBP), there is the potential for existing paint to be lead based or contain lead. It is PM's understanding that the building may be planned for demolition.